List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: natd and multicast tunnel
From:       George Uhl <uhl () mamba-e ! gsfc ! nasa ! gov>
Date:       1999-08-31 19:41:30

> >  I can run an sdr session on the back-end LAN host while
> >  running mrouted and natd and receive session advertisements.
> >  However, when I join a multicast session, my router's kernel
> >  panics with a page fault somewhere in the div_input function
> >  of /sys/netinet/ip_divert.c.  div_input is called by
> >  ip_output.
> >
> Could you please provide a backtrace of the kernel panic?

I would if kgdb worked like advertised for FreeBSD 3.2.
I'd prefer not having to write down the entire backtrace
from the ddb output.  I have a vmcore file in /var/crash
and I compiled the kernel with the -g option.  However
when I do a backtrace command in kgdb, kgdb responds
with a "No Stack" message.

> >  When I run mrouted stand-alone (i.e., without natd) the
> >  back-end host can join a session without crashing the router.
> >  I haven't tried to source multicast traffic from the
> >  back-end host since that should require natd to translate
> >  the source address.  Is there a way to bypass natd for
> >  incoming tunneled multicast traffic?  Outgoing multicast
> >  streams would still need to be translated prior to
> >  tunneling, right?
> >
> Please send me your kernel config, the output of `netstat -rn' and
> how do you start natd(8).   Are you running natd(8) with -reverse?

natd is started from rc.conf without the -reverse option.  It uses
the -n option over interface xl0.

-------------------------

netstat -rn output:

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            24.6.133.1         UGSc        9    20652      xl0
24.6.133/24        link#1             UC          0        0      xl0
24.6.133.1         8:0:3e:17:78:23    UHLW        9        8      xl0   1096
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        4      lo0
192.168.1          link#2             UC          0        0      ed0
192.168.1.1        0:40:5:6d:a6:44    UHLW        0        2      lo0
192.168.1.2        0:60:8:d0:69:c0    UHLW        0        2      ed0   1197