List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: Safety harnesses (was: Is a successful call to write(2) atomic?)
From:       "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg () tristatelogic ! com>
Date:       2021-06-17 19:57:19

In message <a17cf47d-5aef-1623-46da-51c83054f083@gmail.com>,
Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com> wrote:

>The surprise, to me, was losing fifty-something seconds' worth of data
>in a kernel panic situation...

In an ideal universe, the kernel never panics.

Mine however still does from time to time.

I have been informed that this is attributable to me continuing to use an
otherwise perfectly servicable AMD graphics card that the X maintainer
has elected to no longer support.

I have suggested that there might possibly be some more graceful failure
mode than a kernel panic in response to some unhandled condition, but to
no avail.

(Hardware upgrade has been pednding on my end for more than a year.  I have
all of the necessary parts... new motherboard, new CPU/APU and new memory...
however I just never seem to find the time.)

Regards,
rfg