List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: Question (fwd)
From:       Polytropon <freebsd () edvax ! de>
Date:       2020-04-08 18:25:49

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 18:10:59 +0000 (UTC), Viktor Madarasz wrote:
> Well the only thing it reminds me is the system slackware used called
> Slackbuilds.. seems remotely similar..

Yes, there is (was?) something comparable over in Linux land.
If I remember correctly, Gentoo also supported a more or less
standardized infrastructure to obtain sources from a repository
and build applications from it, instead of manually downloading
tar-balls, extracting them, "./configure && make && make install",
or, today's fashion, "curl myapp.example.com | sudo bash". Wait,
today git must always be involved... :-)

By the way, Slackware was my introduction to Linux on the PC.
I still have the 2 CD jewel case and the magazine.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany