List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: current best FreeBSD hosting services
From:       Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp ! org>
Date:       2020-04-07 22:29:42

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 03:39:49PM -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> Suggestions?

I've been a customer of Panix (panix.com) for years and they're terrific.
Inexpensive, flexible, responsive support, VERY high clue level, and
proactive about patches/fixes.  (There have been multiple instances
in which they've fixed something before I knew it was a problem.
They're fast, but deliberate: I don't think I've observed any instances
where they had to back out a change.)

They're also good about supporting pretty much whatever distribution you
ask for: if there's customer demand/requests for it, they'll make it happen.

I saw elsewhere in the threat that Vultr and DigitalOcean were mentioned.
I recommend against them.  These are two of the largest/most frequent
sources of abuse and attacks directed against various systems that I run.
These aren't one-off incidents: they're systemic and chronic.  This indicates
very poor system/network management on their part -- at best.  They've
*earned* their entries in my firewall rulesets.

---rsk