List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: Having trouble printing to my HP OJ Pro 8600 all-in-one
From:       Patrick Mahan <mahan () mahan ! org>
Date:       2016-11-27 23:09:06

On 11/27/16 5:41 AM, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:08:34 -0800 Patrick Mahan <mahan@mahan.org> wrote:
>> On 11/26/16 6:01 AM, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>>> What is the output of 'pkg which /usr/local/etc/cups/apple.types'?  If it
>>> says not found in database, remove the file.  If /usr/local/etc/cups/mime.*
>>> exist, remove them.  You can also remove the following packages:
>>
>> I believe that was added as part of the avahi stuff that I installed to
>> support apple devices needing "AirPrint" support.
>>
>> The apple.types contains:
>>
>> gypsy-new# cat /usr/local/etc/cups/apple.types
>> #
>> # "$Id:$"
>> #
>> # Airprint type
>> image/urf urf string(0,UNIRAST<00>)
>> #
>> # End of "$Id:$".
>> #
>>
>> There is no /usr/local/etc/cups/mime.types (as you can from the 'find'
>> command).
>>
>>> foomatic-db-20161105
>>> foomatic-db-engine-4.0.12_1,2
>>> foomatic-db-hpijs-1.4
>>> gimp-gutenprint-5.2.10_3
>>> gutenprint-base-5.2.10_2
>>> gutenprint-cups-5.2.10_3
>>> gutenprint-foomatic-5.2.10_2
>>> hplip-plugin-3.16.10
>>
>> Okay, they are removed.
>>
>>> Then restart cupsd with 'service cupsd restart'.
>>
>> Done.
>>
>> Well, look at that, it's printing.
>>
>> What do you think was the blockage?
>
> Removing those packages should not have made a difference.  Maybe all you
> needed was a restart.

No, I have done both mutiple cupsd restarts and multiple reboots.

> I don't think you need those apple.* files.  URF support is already included
> in /usr/local/share/cups/mime/cupsfilters.*.

Okay, I will look at backing those out.

> Something else you might want to check in /usr/local/etc/cups is if there
> are any differences between configurations files and their corresponding
> *.sample file and if those differences still make sense.

Will do, thanks for the help.

Patrick