List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Build breaks on 10.1-RELEASE
From:       Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon () gmx ! net>
Date:       2014-12-29 7:34:21

Hello everyone,

After updating FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE (with freebsd-update fetch && freebsd-update \
install) running in a VM under VirtualBox (although I do not think that is related to \
my problem) to 10.1-RELEASE-p3, I wanted to rebuild my custom kernel. After some \
time, the build aborted with the following error message:

--- all_subdir_aesni ---
In file included from /usr/src/sys/modules/aesni/../../crypto/aesni/aesni_wrap.c:40:
/usr/src/sys/modules/aesni/../../crypto/aesni/aesencdec.h:30:10: fatal error: \
'wmmintrin.h' file not found #include <wmmintrin.h>
         ^

Checking for the headers in /usr/include as well as the compiler version, I get the \
following results: [8:25|root@lonny:/usr/src]# find /usr/include -type f -iname \
                "*intrin.h"
/usr/include/clang/3.3/x86intrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/immintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/nmmintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/prfchwintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/lzcntintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/rdseedintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/popcntintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/xopintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/bmiintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/ammintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/fmaintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/emmintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/xmmintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/bmi2intrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/avxintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/pmmintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/mmintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/smmintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/tmmintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/fma4intrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/f16cintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/avx2intrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/rtmintrin.h
/usr/include/clang/3.3/wmmintrin.h
[8:25|root@lonny:/usr/src]# cc --version
FreeBSD clang version 3.4.1 (tags/RELEASE_34/dot1-final 208032) 20140512
Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd10.1
Thread model: posix

An Internet search engine of my choice told me that someone had run into the same \
error message about half a year ago, but I found no solution to the problem. For some \
reason I have already managed to forget I though running make buildworld might help, \
but that, too, ended in tears:

/usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/SourceManager.cpp:1208:10: \
fatal error: 'emmintrin.h' file not found #include <emmintrin.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
mkdep: compile failed
*** Error code 1

Worried that maybe the source tree got corrupted/broken in some way, I downloaded \
src.txz from a nearby mirror, moved /usr/src to the side, extracted the sources \
again, then ran freebsd-update to once more fetch and install any updates. But both \
make kernel and make buildworld still give me the same error.

I am kind of lost here. Have other people run into the same problem? Is it a problem \
with the source tree or with my system?

I would greatly appreciate any insights you might be able to share with me.

Thank you very much,
Benjamin