List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: Installation problem
From:       Roland Smith <rsmith () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2010-08-19 17:26:48

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 01:01:08AM -0400, Derek Schwartz wrote:
> Hey, I'm trying to install the latest release of FreeBSD on my Dell
> Desktop, the computer originally had windows XP, but then the hard
> drive was wiped clean.
> I tried reconfiguring the geometry of the hard drive by using my Linux
> Ubuntu Disk Utility, I changed it to {0-a5} which I heard was for
> FreeBSD, but still no luck.

Well, 165 or 0xA5 is indeed the system partition ID for FreeBSD. But that has
nothing to do with the disk geometry (which is cilinders/heads/sectors and
which you should _not_ mess with).

Read and follow Chapter 2 of the freeBSD handbook;
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

Pay attention to §2.6, Allocating Disk Space.

Since you are installing a desktop, I would recommend to create a separate
partition (in the FreeBSD Disklabel Editor, _not_ FDISK!) for your /home. That
makes it easier to separately back up the OS and your own data.

Roland