List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: fix remote degraded gmirror
From:       Robin Becker <robin () reportlab ! com>
Date:       2009-09-30 14:07:00

Adam Vande More wrote:

 > This has been answered already but you should be aware that when using
 > gmirror, your back disk should either be the same model or bigger as hard
 > drive capacities differ between manufacturers.  As in Seagate 250GB ~= WD
 > 250GB.  So this is not an uncommon problem.

yes this is a fairly old WD

original was

Device Model: WDC WD1600JS-22MHB0
Firmware Version: 02.01C03
User Capacity: 160,041,885,696 bytes

they replaced with

Device Model: WDC WD1600JS-75NCB2
Firmware Version: 10.02E03
User Capacity: 160,000,000,000 bytes

which looks quite strange as it looks like something got lopped off somehow. I
didn't think bad blocking/sectoring was done any more. Anyhow they've removed
this disk and are considering options (at least I hope they are).
--
Robin Becker