List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Re: Tcpdump dropping packets
From:       Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas ! edu>
Date:       2006-06-08 22:26:57

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Check sysctl debug.bpf_bufsize, but also do a search on this because
> there may be a patch needed for PCAP in order for buffers larger than
> 32K to actually work. [1]

Hmmm....

sysctl debug.bpf_bufsize
sysctl: unknown oid 'debug.bpf_bufsize'

sysctl -a | grep bufsize
net.bpf.maxbufsize: 524288
net.bpf.bufsize: 4096

I assume bufsize is the default?  And maxbufsize is as high as it can
go?  So it defaults to 4 megs and maxes out at 512 megs?  If true, how
would I go about calculating a sufficiently large maxbufsize?  If I have
approximate 150Mbps traffic, how much has to be held in the buffer?

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]