List:       freebsd-questions
Subject:    Vinum and reserved space
From:       "Chris Howells" <howells () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-11 17:14:27

Hi,

I've just bought 2 x 160GB drives which I want to RAID 1 with vinum. I
used /stand/sysinstall to fdisk and disklabel them, mounted them as /temp1
and /temp2 and checked the size of them using 'df' to stick into my
vinum.conf file.

I'm a bit confused though; the output of df does not include the 8% or
whatever of the slice that is reserved for root by default. Therefore I
was wondering if I should turn the reserved space down to 0%, check the
space using df, and use that in my vinum.conf. The reasoning is that when
I run 'newfs /dev/vinum/sauron1', more drive space will be reserved, so
I'll have two lots of reserved space on each drive which seems wrong.

Currently df -h output looks like this, which isn't too impressive for
160GB drives:

/dev/vinum/sauron1   131G   1.0K   120G     0%    /vinum

vinum.conf looks like:

drive alpha device /dev/ad6s1e
drive beta device /dev/ad7s1e
volume sauron1 setupstate