List:       freebsd-ppc
Subject:    Re: Expected issue? Old PowerMac G5 [...] vs. USB [...] [RealTek EtherNet] devices (...)
From:       Mark Millard via freebsd-ppc <freebsd-ppc () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2021-02-02 8:50:12

On 2021-Feb-1, at 14:28, John-Mark Gurney <jmg at funkthat.com> wrote:

> Mark Millard wrote this message on Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 13:34 -0800:

>>> Is the axge a USB3 or USB3 device?  The driver attached to both...
>>
>> The axge, like all my USB Ethernet devices, is USB3 capable but
>> is supposed to support use in USB2 contexts. The PowerMac, of
>> course, is old and only has USB2.
>
> Then why bother w/ xhci?  Since that should apply only to USB3
> controllers... If your mac isn't USB3 compatible, shouldn't be
> detected/probed/used, and you should only have ehci...
>
> This is why I was puzzled, tweaking xhci implies that the system is
> USB3 capable...
>
> (if xhci changes USB2 behavior, then it needs to be renamed)...

Given the variability in behavior I'm seeing, I likely
mistook an accidental correspondence back during the
summer as a "this makes a difference for whatever reason".
I had left material around to remind me that I'd used
hw.usb.xhci.use_polling=1 back then, but not any detail.

Technically I do not have the knowledge of the software
structure to rule out its getting to ehci support
indirectly.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com