List:       freebsd-ppc
Subject:    Re: SAS Raid controllers
From:       luporl <luporl () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2021-01-25 12:09:05

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 7:34 PM Jeanie <jeanie@jeaniez.com> wrote:

> On 22/01/21 08:54, luporl wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 9:10 PM Jeanie <jeanie@jeaniez.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Leandro,

> >> Sorry for the delay. Someone deleted my emails.
> >>
> >> You are using a SAS raid with PowerPC!!!!! Was it hard to make work? I
> >> am looking at the aacraid driver and it looks like add-on cards are
> >> available.
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >> Jeanie
> >>

> > Hi Jeanie,
> >
> > For me, with a recent FreeBSD 13 kernel, it just works, as the aacraid
> > driver is now included with the default PowerPC64 kernel.
> > But I'm using it with only one SAS drive, so I haven't tested its raid
> > capabilities.
> > The only complaint that I have is that, on my machine, disk writes are
> very
> > slow.
> >
> > - Leandro
> Hi Leandro,
>
> That was going to be my next question, what kernel you are using, but
> since you already answered it, I guess that I won't need to ask. I will
> update my source and give compiling a kernel a try.
>
> It is interesting that it is slow on writes. Maybe it is because you
> only have one drive? Have you looked into this any further?
>
> Sincerely,
> Jeanie

Hi Jeanie,

Even with one drive, the write speed should be higher.
Write speed on the Talos II machine that I use, with aacraid, is about only
3 or 4 MB/s, while on another PowerPC machine with a SATA controller it
reaches about 30 MB/s, during sequential write of a large file.
This Talos II machine also has NVMe, that reaches about 130 MB/s.

I've not looked further into this issue.
However, some months ago, when the aacraid driver was ported to big endian,
I've done some tests with it on another PowerPC machine and I didn't notice
writes being slow.
So, maybe this is an issue specific to my setup or maybe something in the
code changed from a few months ago that has degraded write performance.

Best regards,
- Leandro