List:       freebsd-ppc
Subject:    Re: Modern 13 32-bit powerpc FreeBSD has early-fail boot for 2-socket/1-core-each PowerMac7,2 G5
From:       Mark Millard via freebsd-ppc <freebsd-ppc () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2021-01-16 2:10:47

[For the modern FreeBSD tests, This turned out to be the
32-bit powerpc disk being put in the 2-socket/1-core-reach
G5 each time. So I cut the material below to the basics of
the early failure for an attempted 32-bit boot.]

On 2021-Jan-14, at 22:50, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-Jan-14, at 17:39, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-Jan-13, at 14:35, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I attempted [using the 32-bit powerpc FreeBSD] with the [. . .]
>>> 2-socket/1-cores-each G5 that I have access to. It
>>> silently hangs up almost immediately after the loader's timeout
>>> prompt is "returned to" (or finishes the timeout). This happened
>>> for both vt and sc for kern.vty .
>>> . . .
>>
>> . . . it stops on the 2-socket/1-core-each G5 after . . . :
>>
>> Kernel entry at 0x100580 ...
>>
>> So this is a very early failure.

Using the actual powerpc64 FreeBSD media booted the
2-socket/1-cores-each G5 just fine.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com