List:       freebsd-ppc
Subject:    Re: 9.0 iso files
From:       Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2013-01-31 22:29:08

On 01/31/13 15:06, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On 01/30/13 22:35, Super Bisquit wrote:
> > > I've seen that the problem with 9.x has occurred with others.
> > >
> > > http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=206473#post206473
> > >
> > > Have the images been updated as of yet?
> > It's a bug in the Mac OS X kernel -- the disks work perfectly fine if you boot \
> > off of them. The 9.1 disks have a slightly different format that doesn't cause \
> > stack corruption inside Darwin and so won't crash OS X if you try to mount them.
> The reported error in that thread as I read it is essentially, "During (FreeBSD) \
> kernel initialization the cpu fetched an exception in kernel mode and shutdown the \
> PowerBook immediately." … how does that have anything to do with xnu?

The top post 10 posts are about XNU (and I know about that behavior on
my own hardware -- the bug is still there at least in 10.6.8). The
second post, which I hadn't looked at, is at #11. Don't know what's
going on there -- would be nice to have some more information about the
hardware than "Powerbook G4".
-Nathan