List:       freebsd-ppc
Subject:    Re: BSD Install ISO will not boot on Low End G3
From:       Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2011-02-03 14:29:14

That isn't what the boot-hfs-file option does. You can see
/usr/src/release/powerpc/mkisoimages.sh for how the current releases are
built. The problem is that for a live CD, something in mkisofs (and in
genisoimage; they are mostly the same) goes wrong, perhaps due to the
increased number of files, and produces an image that is either
enormous, corrupt, or both. The BSDInstall disks need to be live CDs,
and so they are made the way I sent them out. An alternative solution
would be to roll our own kind of hybrid disk using something like the
boot1.hfs hack and modifications to makefs(1), but that is something to
look at for the future.

I have a Blue & White G3, so I'll investigate how to boot it and
hopefully provide some hints.
-Nathan