List:       freebsd-ports
Subject:    multimedia/libdvdcss and the DMCA
From:       Tilman Linneweh <arved () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2003-07-30 11:23:46

Hello Mario, Hello List.

I think libdvdcss should be marked RESTRICTED, but IANAL.

According to the libdvdcss FAQ:

Is libdvdcss legal?

The use and distribution of the libdvdcss library is controversial in a few countries \
such as the United States because of a law called the DMCA (Digital Millennium \
Copyright Act). If you are unsure about the legality of using and distributing this \
library in your country, please consult your lawyer.

NetBSD has the following comment in its pkgsrc Makefile:

# Unfortunately, some reading of the United States law (DMCA) means
# that we are not able to provide pointers to the source or homepage
# for this software, even in other countries.
#
# Please do not submit any PRs telling us the contents of the HOMEPAGE
# or MASTER_SITES definitions in this Makefile.

Comments?

regards
tilman