List:       freebsd-ports
Subject:    Re: diff/patch question
From:       asami () cs ! berkeley ! edu (Satoshi Asami)
Date:       1995-06-21 9:45:12

 * > Hi Satoshi.  I am trying to keep up with changes I'm making in a port I'm
 * > trying to develop, and so I'm using the info you gave me on diff.  I'm
 * > having a strange problem, tho, and I hope you can help.  The project I'm
 * > into uses imake, so one of the files is named site.def.  The file occurs
 * > in the top project directory, and has to be changed, then deposited in
 * > the project config directory, several layers down.  Patch keeps on
 * > insisting that, since it finds the file in the top directory, I must have
 * > made a mistake, so it patches it inthe top directory, and doesn't move it
 * > down.  How can I force patch to believe I know what I want?
 *
 * I am not Satoshi, but will try to answer this for you.  Use a -p0 option
 * to patch, that will tell patch to use the full pathname in the patch file.

I'm the Satoshi, and I'm not sure what you are asking.  If Rod
answered it, fine; otherwise, maybe you can help us understand exactly
what you are trying to do.

One thing I know is that patch won't move files to different
directories for you.  If you need to do that, you should add a
pre-patch (or post-patch) rule to your port Makefile.

Satoshi