List:       freebsd-pf
Subject:    pfstat 2.2 and FreeBSD (was: SNMP access to pf ALTQ data?)
From:       Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen () fabiankeil ! de>
Date:       2006-07-08 11:12:25

Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@benzedrine.cx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 02:18:12AM -0500, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to track pf ALTQ usage with MRTG? I notice that
> > FreeBSD's built-in bsnmpd has a module and mibs to support pf, but
> > I know too little about SNMP to figure out how to access the queue
> > stats.

> Some queue related values are available, take a look at
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/bsnmpd/modules/snmp_pf/
>
> especially the BEGEMOT-PF-MIB.txt file.
>
> But pf_snmp.c doesn't use the DIOCGETQSTATS ioctl to fetch those byte
> counters you're looking for.
>
> Maybe Philip can add them. One example of how to fetch the queue stats
> is pfctl itself, another is pfstat-2.2 pf.c query_queues(), see
>
> http://www.benzedrine.cx/pfstat.html
>
> (make sure to grab pfstat-2.2.tar.gz, older versions didn't fetch
> queue stats, either)

Yesterday I installed pfstat 2.2 on FreeBSD RELENG_6. It compiled cleanly,
but fetching the statistics failed with "ioctl DIOCIGETIFACES not supported
by device" (not the exact wording).

To get it running I used:
<http://www.fabiankeil.de/sourcecode/freebsd/pfstat-2.2.diff>
(update for sysutils/pfstat from 1.7 to 2.2)

Could someone with FreeBSD PF foo please check patch-pf.c
for correctness?

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/