List:       freebsd-newbies
Subject:    RE: external modem
From:       "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish () a1poweruser ! com>
Date:       2002-02-21 23:18:12

You did not say how you can enter terminal mode. Cuaa1 is com2. Enter tip
com2 to get to terminal mode and the AT commands should work. Use ~ followed
by ctrl + D keys at same time to exit. To verify your modem is really found
by FBSD you have to check the boot log messages /var/run/dmesg.boot and look
for which sio # it gets assigned to. If it comes up as unknown then FBSD can
not access it. Good chance it's a internal winmodem. If so give up, FBSD can
not access winmodems. For a internal modem to work in FBSD it has to have a
onboard controller and dsp.