List:       freebsd-newbies
Subject:    Re:
From:       Janet Sullivan <eliyanah () techie ! com>
Date:       2000-09-30 21:01:20

DALE HALSTEAD wrote:

> Help, what flavor should I start with?  I have a pc with win 95,
> 133mh, and 1.2 G hardrive. I have several versions of linux and unix
> (I am taking a class now in unix) but it sounds like I may want to
> start with FreeBSD or something.  Just want to get of MSW!

I'd suggest starting with FreeBSD.  Overall it's my favorite, although
for some purposes I use other unixes.  (My firewall is on a OpenBSD box,
and my laptop runs RedHat.  I may change my laptop to FreeBSD some day,
but it was such a bear getting everything to work on it I kind of hate
to start over. <grin>) My main system runs FreeBSD 4.1.1-Stable 95% of
the time though.

Janet

...yes, I'm a MCSE with NT experience.  That's why my operating system
of choice is FreeBSD.