List:       freebsd-newbies
Subject:    Disk Space
From:       Joe Warner <jswarner () uswest ! net>
Date:       2000-06-30 12:40:38

Hi,

 Can someone tell me where I can find information re: disk space
management on a FreeBSD system?  I'd like to stream-line my system and
get rid of files that I don't need that are taking up necessary disk
space but I don't know where to look or start.  As an example, I know
that kernels can take up a lot space.  When I compiled my kernel, I
named it JWKERNEL but at / I've noticed that there are 3 separate
kernels: KERNEL, KERNEL-GENERIC and KERNEL-OLD.  I know I shouldn't
delete KERNEL-OLD, since this is needed for possible system recovery.
Can I delete KERNEL-GENERIC?  I'm going to post this on
FreeBSD-Questions as well but I was just wondering if someone could tell
me where I might find information associated with this topic.  Any info
would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Joe