List:       freebsd-newbies
Subject:    Re: cvsup tags
From:       Doug Barton <DougB () gorean ! org>
Date:       2000-06-26 17:01:35

Doug Asherman wrote:

> This is a real newbie question, but I hope it has a simple answer.
> If I use the tag RELENG_4 as my default tag for cvsup, will I
> get the source for 4.0-STABLE or 4.0-CURRENT?

	There is no more 4.0-Current. Think of the major version numbers like
strings. A -Release is a single point on the 4.x string. Before the
-Release, the string has the name "4.0-STABLE". At the exact moment of
the release (signified by the laying down of the release tag on that
branch) it's called "4.x-RELEASE", then once the release engineering is
done, that same thread is referred to as -Stable again. It's all the
same thread, just different names for different points in time.

	The -Current branch always refers to the chaotic, likely to break
developer branch. Once a release is cut on the development branch, it
splits off into it's own "thread," as happened with 4.0 and 5.0
recently.

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire