List:       freebsd-net
Subject:    Re: Intel ix (X520) disconnects when manipulating ips?
From:       Andrew Boyer <aboyer () averesystems ! com>
Date:       2011-04-25 14:56:40

On Apr 23, 2011, at 12:50 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On 4/22/11 5:08 PM, Andrew Boyer wrote:
> > Hello Steve and Jack,
> > You need to handle the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl or it gets passed up the stack to \
> > ether_ioctl().  When it goes up the interface gets reset.  See the comments in \
> > em_ioctl() and igb_ioctl().
> > We fixed this in ixgbe in our internal tree and it seems to work fine with 82598 \
> > and 82599.  You also need to include opt_inet.h for the INET #define to be valid.
>
> so, what else have you fixed?   :-)
>
> > -Andrew

Here's a list of suggested improvements that we could give back.  I try to only \
bother Jack if a problem results in a hang or other serious issue.

- Add tunables for LRO and HWRSC
- Add code in ixgbe_attach() to detect 'disabled' hint (call resource_disabled()) \
                [also useful in e1000!]
- Add code in ixgbe_attach() to handle IXGBE_ERR_SFP_NOT_PRESENT returned by \
                ixgbe_init_hw() (set sfp_probe to TRUE)
- Add VLAN_HWTSO support when handling SIOCSIFCAP
- Call ixgbe_disable_queue() at the beginning of ixgbe_msix_que()
- Add code to ixgbe_local_timer() to first call ixgbe_txeof() on every queue before \
                checking the queue status
- Rework ixgbe_config_link(); if sfp is TRUE, I think it should just schedule \
                mod_task and let it handle the msf case
- Add locking and PHY type detection to ixgbe_handle_link() (to support \
                copper->optical and optical->copper transitions)
- Add locking to ixgbe_handle_mod(), detect the PHY type, and only schedule msf_task \
                if multispeed_fiber is true
- Add locking to ixgbe_handle_msf()

I could provide patches for any item that people are interested in testing / \
incorporating.  Of course Jack still gets the final say on what goes into ixgbe.

-Andrew