List:       freebsd-net
Subject:    Re: A more pliable firewall
From:       Ian Smith <smithi () nimnet ! asn ! au>
Date:       2009-02-21 4:09:36

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Bakul Shah wrote:
 > Thanks to everyone who responded.  Looks like all the pieces
 > to do this exist.  All I have to do is to package it all in
 > one program "sheriff" that watches various log files and
 > pulls the trigger on the bad guy(s) at appropriate time.

Wild West imagery indeed :)

 > I think I will add a program to keep running stats on *all*
 > the tcp/udp senders to find all those annoyingly pesky repeat
 > senders who have no business talking to my network.

Be prepared for a very, very large list!  Maybe needing some sort of
tree/trie or hashing algorithm to handle quickly as it grows.  You'll
also need some expiry mechanism after a period, as many if not most of
these are transient scans from infected 'doze boxes, trojans du jour.

And that after you've ignored the near-constant 'background radiation'
from 'doze boxes to eg TCP dst-ports 135,139,445,1433 and others, and
UDP dst-ports 135,137,138,1433,1434,1900 etc; no use chasing such more
or less constant misconfigs, they'll only mask more interesting stuff.

 > What would be nice is a standard interface to report
 > suspicious failures (sort of like syslog).  If the same guy
 > sends N DNS requests for the same thing and every request
 > fails, chances are he is a bad guy (or a zombie acting on
 > behalf of one).  Perhaps some day a trusted network of such
 > daemons can be used to "back pressure" the closest ISP to the
 > sender -- who can then shut him down for a while.

One note of caution: TCP is straightforward enough, the three-way
handshake verifying the source address (if it proceeds to connection).
However it's trivial to forge UDP source addresses, as the recent DNS
amplification attacks I mentioned amply demonstrate.

In such cases, the address appearing to be sending DNS requests logged
as, say, "address#port query (cache) './NS/IN' denied" is the *victim*
of such attacks, and blocking all access to/from such addresses, often
nameservers of large ISPs, amounts to shooting yourself in the foot as
well as further punishing the victim - the unknown attacker's intention!

In that case it's sufficient to block 'from $victim to $me 53', still
allowing $me to query their nameservers, eg to send them some mail :)

good luck,

Ian