List:       freebsd-multimedia
Subject:    Transmitting webcam
From:       Rolf Nielsen <rmg1970swe () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-10-14 14:28:02

Hello,

I've recently acquired a webcam, and I've got it working nicely with
the help of webcamd and pwcview.

Now I want to do the following. (I want to do them simultaneously).

1. (This is a non-problem, as it took me all of six minutes to get it
working, but I include it for completeness). Record the webcam, using
motion detection, and save it as a video file on my HDD.

2. Take stills at regular intervals (something like once or twice a
minute) and have these stills transmitted on the web. I've figured out
how to make pwcview take snapshots, and I guess I could have it call a
script that uploads the file somewhere. However, I want it made
available as a very slow video stream, so it updates itself when
someone views it.

The reason I don't want to use the video file is that I want the
stills stream updated even if there's no motion.

And now for my questions.

1. I'm behind a router to which I have no admin access, and that
doesn't allow inbound connections, so does any of you know a streaming
service I could use? Preferably one to which I can upload a jpeg once
or twice a minute. And preferably free, but I'm willing to pay a
reasonable amount, if necessary. It has to have the option to only
allow selected people to view the stream.

2. In case uploading a jpeg once in awhile isn't an option, is there a
way to encode a video stream and stream it to the server which then
streams it on the web? And how can I generate a video stream from
files that do not yet exist when the encoder is started? If I output
all snapshots to the same filename and tell ffmpeg to loop it, it only
reads the file once, and generates a stream of identical frames.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Rolf