List:       freebsd-multimedia
Subject:    Re: dvd burning on -current?
From:       Alfred Perlstein <alfred () freebsd ! org>
Date:       2003-12-28 16:44:53

* Soren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk> [031228 07:14] wrote:
> It seems Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > Is burncd supposed to work with dvd writers?
> >
> > ~ # burncd -f /dev/acd0 -s 4 -v -e data cdimage.raw fixate
> > adding type 0x08 file cdimage.raw size 3840736 KB 1920368 blocks
> > burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCNEXTWRITEABLEADDR): Input/output error
> > ~ #
>
> Yes it is, man burncd says how, remember that DVD?RW media must be
> formatted first (and are usable as a R/W media ie no need to "burn").
>
> As always device compatibility can be an issue..

Ok, I get this:

acd0: CDRW <LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S> at ata1-master PIO4
cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S HS06> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 16.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

acd0: FAILURE - READ_TRACK_INFO status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> sensekey=ILLEGAL REQUEST error=4<ABORTED>

FYI, I'm burning 4x DVD-R Memorex media in the drive (which is an
8x capable Lite-on).

And just as I was writing this I gave growisofs another shot and
it's ... going..

and done.. and mounted...

I think the drive would likely use a firmware update.

Thanks for the response.

--
- Alfred Perlstein
- Research Engineering Development Inc.