List:       freebsd-mobile
Subject:    Re: Recommended laptop for FreeBSD 10.2 Xfce workstation?
From:       Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen () getmail ! no>
Date:       2016-04-02 10:45:15

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 19:54:29 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> On 03/31/2016 05:22 AM, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > 4. Why do you want to have an optical drive built into your laptop? Do you use \
> > optical media that often? For me, I use optical media rarely these days, so a usb \
> > connected optical reader / burner is enough.
>
> a.  So I can boot from disc -- for installation and running live discs.

For me, this is writing an image to a usb stick and running / installing from that. \
It has been for several years now. These days, I is very rarely encounter machines \
that can't boot from usb. YMMV.

> b.  So I can burn discs -- music to CD, video to DVD/ BD, data to
> whatever size makes sense.
>
> c.  So I can read discs.

For me, these activities happen seldom enough that an external writer with usb \
connection is good enough. Again, YMMV.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>