List:       freebsd-mobile
Subject:    Re: Help with Dell Precision M4800 (laptop)?
From:       David Wolfskill <david () catwhisker ! org>
Date:       2015-03-19 2:42:38

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:34:19PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> [Replacing Dell Precision M4400 with M4800...]

An update:

A complete rebuild of FreeBSD stable/10 @279586 took about 26 minutes.

> - Despite updating to the recent x11/nvidia-driver port, I have been
>   unable (so far) to get X running.  (It whines about an inability to
>   find any screens.)
>
> - Attempts to suspend (to RAM) have uniformly failed so far.  I have
>   thus not attempted to resume.

Changing the BIOS "Switchable Video" option from the default "on" to
"off" appears to have resolved both of the above.

> I've placed a handful of files under
> <http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/m4800/>:
> I'll try grabbing a dmesg.boot and adding that in when I get a chance
> (probably tonight).

It's a stable/10 non-verbose dmesg.boot, but it's there.

Peace,
david
Those who murder in the name of God or prophet are blasphemous cowards.