List:       freebsd-mobile
Subject:    firmware for driver for Intel 3945ABG not found
From:       Gerald Jones <gj () freeshell ! org>
Date:       2007-06-04 18:41:24

Hi,

I've installed 6.2 on half of my Lenovo thinkpad.  It has the Intel 3945ABG
card.

I subsequently went to Ben's site (clearchain.com) for the wpi driver and
downloaded the 1/31 wpi tarball, which I supposed had everything I needed to
get wireless up and running.  The trouble starts when I try to install the
firmware. `make install' in the firmware directory fails with an error that it
can't download something called '3945ABG_fw_1.0.tgz' from the FreeBSD ftp
site, which is understandable given that I'm trying to install ethernet
capability in the first place ;-)

Nevertheless, when I reboot into Windows and try to manually download the
tarball, having carefully written it down, it is not found.  The URL is:

<ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/3945ABG_fw_1.0.tgz>

(or something close to that, I don't have it in front of me ATM)

Meanwhile, I've installed the actual driver, which appears to have been
successful albeit it throws the error "failed to load firmware image
'wpi_fw'".  Naturally.

So, I guess my question is, how can I get the firmware for the wpi driver?  Or
alternatively, a different way to get my ethernet card recognized?

Thanks for the help,
Gerald.