List:       freebsd-java
Subject:    Re: Running server-side Java on FreeBSD in production environments
From:       Greg Lewis <glewis () eyesbeyond ! com>
Date:       2003-12-03 20:46:42

Hi Brian,

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:12:37PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> So, I've seen a few mentions here of folks using Java server apps on
> FreeBSD in production.  I've been very happy to watch the progress by the
> Java team on the native JDKs from the sidelines, as well as the
> improvements to libc_r and such that have been MFC'd, but I'm curious as
> to whether the consensus on this list is that it's ready to be used for
> production.  Anyone want to share good success or horror stories?  We're
> trying to determine whether the apache.org box can start to run our own
> software.  :)  Speed is definitely less important than proper functioning.

FWIW, in terms of proper functioning, 1.3.1 is compliant with Sun's
test suite and 1.4.2 almost is (unofficially).  The one case where 1.4.2
isn't compliant is currently under discussion with Sun and is unlikely
to affect you unless you're using multicast in a mixed IPv4 and IPv6
environment.

Of the two, 1.4.2 is significantly faster thanks to HotSpot.

If you decide to go ahead, I'm willing to support you as much as I
can since I think apache.org running some Java servlet containers on
FreeBSD would be a great advertisement for Java on BSD :).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org