List:       freebsd-java
Subject:    Re: Running server-side Java on FreeBSD in production environments
From:       Panagiotis Astithas <past () noc ! ntua ! gr>
Date:       2003-12-03 10:32:20

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 23:12, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> So, I've seen a few mentions here of folks using Java server apps on
> FreeBSD in production.  I've been very happy to watch the progress by the
> Java team on the native JDKs from the sidelines, as well as the
> improvements to libc_r and such that have been MFC'd, but I'm curious as
> to whether the consensus on this list is that it's ready to be used for
> production.  Anyone want to share good success or horror stories?  We're
> trying to determine whether the apache.org box can start to run our own
> software.  :)  Speed is definitely less important than proper functioning.
>
> 	Brian

I have deployed three servlet-based apps using tomcat & velocity in a
farm-like environment and have never experienced any problems. The
applications require jdk 1.4, so I have followed that path all along, mainly
in -stable machines (and -current for compiling/testing before deployment).

Cheers,
--
Panagiotis Astithas
Electrical & Computer Engineer, PhD