List:       freebsd-java
Subject:    Re: Running server-side Java on FreeBSD in production environments
From:       Josef Grosch <jgrosch () MooseRiver ! com>
Date:       2003-12-02 21:52:07

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:12:37PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> So, I've seen a few mentions here of folks using Java server apps on
> FreeBSD in production.  I've been very happy to watch the progress by the
> Java team on the native JDKs from the sidelines, as well as the
> improvements to libc_r and such that have been MFC'd, but I'm curious as
> to whether the consensus on this list is that it's ready to be used for
> production.  Anyone want to share good success or horror stories?  We're
> trying to determine whether the apache.org box can start to run our own
> software.  :)  Speed is definitely less important than proper functioning.
>
> 	Brian

From my limited experience I can say that FreeBSD 5.1 with Java 1.4.1 and
Tomcat 4.1.27 seems to work pretty well. Not real fast though. When threads
are done it should be really good. I've also used ant, eclipse, jboss,
Log4j and the other tools from the Jakarta project and they mostly
work. The only time I have had a problem it was from a mistake on my
part. Oh, jBoss and Eclipse are not from the Jakarta project but they
interface well.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 5.1
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | Berkeley, Ca.