List:       freebsd-java
Subject:    Redirects won't work with Apache proxy on Orion (FreeBSD)
From:       "Eelco Cramer" <eelco () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2002-06-19 10:29:50

Hi,

I'm trying to get a configuration running where I can host multiple websites
running on Orion. I'm running Orion on FreeBSD. I don't want to run orion as
root so I'm using apache as a proxy to Orion.

However it seems that redirects don't work properly.

I have 2 virtual hosts setup on a hosts that is called www.myserver.com.

<VirtualHost www.bar.com:80>
        ProxyVia On
        ProxyPass /  http://localhost:8100/bar/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8100/bar/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.foo.com.com:80>
        ProxyVia On
        ProxyPass /  http://localhost:8100/foo/
        ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8100/foo/
</VirtualHost>

When I access www.myserver.com then bar.com will show (prolly because it's
the first virtual host).

Now, the problem is when I'm trying to access a folder on one of the 2
virtual hosts without a trailing slash the forward will bring me to
myserver.com instead of the folder I'm expecting. For example:

I'm trying to access: http://www.foo.com/apple
This will result in a request to: http://localhost:8100/foo/apple
Because this request is accessing a directory Orion will now sent a redirect
to: http://localhost:8100/foo/apple/
Will should result in a forward for my browser to: http://www.foo.com/apple/

However for some reason my browser will try to access:
http://www.myserver.com/apple/

Also when I'm accessing a page called: http://www.foo.com/apple/page1.jsp
And this page sends a redirect by calling:
response.sendRedirect("page2.jsp");
My browser will try to access: http://www.myserver.com/apple/page2.jsp
instead of http://www.foo.com/apple/page2.jsp

So somewhere in the proxying process something is going wrong.

Does anyone know a solution for this problem? Is it a known problem? Is my
proxy configuration correct?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Eelco