List:       freebsd-java
Subject:    Re: Small prog to demonstrate linux-jdk1.3.x signal handling prob lem.
From:       "Andrew Atrens" <atrens () nortelnetworks ! com>
Date:       2001-11-19 19:33:53

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Ari Suutari wrote:

> 	Sorry, maybe I was giving to strong opinion on this.
> 	It is mostly because I have been trying to get Apache JServ (or Tomcat)
> 	to run with linux jdk and it definitively does not work with
> 	hotspot enabled (and without it things are too slow for production
> 	environment). These problems resulted in having to switch a couple
> 	of servers from FreeBSD to Linux - a switch that I really hated to do.

I'm in a similar situation, except that in our (my) case the java prog. is
part of a product loadbuild environment. Though it's quicker on FreeBSD,
it runs reliably on Linux.

> 	that can be used to crash to Linux vm under linuxlator, maybe
> 	this could be discussed on freebsd-emulation or -current mailing

My gut feeling is that it's a race condition - sometimes the signal
handler gets registered in time to catch the exception, sometimes it does
not.  Though since I know very little about the linux threads model and
more importantly, how it's implemented in the Linuxulator, I can only
speculate.

Anyone out there an expert on this ? :) :)

> 	list ? Or is this something like a large piece of stuff missing from
> 	linuxlator that will take ages to fix (hopefully not) ?

That's an excellent question :)