List:       freebsd-isp
Subject:    Re: Using DNS/bind for external and internal IP-block.
From:       "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml () mountin ! net>
Date:       2001-05-30 16:54:17

At 04:26 PM 5/29/01 -0400, Jan Knepper wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Currently I'v got DNS (bind) running for my primary and secundary IP-block
>which works great.
>However, now I came up with the idea of also DNS'ing the internal network
>192.168.x.x. By itself no problem, but how do I setup bind in such a way
>that everything related to the 192.168.x.x. block stays inside the local
>network.

Use the allow-query feature for the zone to only allow local address to the
in-addr zone.

>Worse, I would like to use: <prefix-0>.domain.ext, <prefix-1>.domain.ext,
>etc. for the machines on the local network while domain.ext points to a
>public IP address.

Not quite sure what you want here.

You could delegate a subdomain to an internal DNS server and restrict
that.  Don't think the granularity of control allows for records, but
allow-query could be used for the subdomain's zone.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve