List:       freebsd-isp
Subject:    Re: FTP access without shell
From:       Marius Strom <marius () marius ! org>
Date:       2000-12-20 19:29:21

Another typical practice is to use both /bin/true and /bin/false. You
put /bin/true in your shells, and give /bin/true to all users who want
ftp access, and /bin/false those you don't.  This way, you can create
non-interactive and non-ftp accounts for things such as email only
accounts.

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 02:12:28PM -0500, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 01:30:07PM -0500, David Lawson thus spoke:
>
> > I'm trying to give a user ftp access but not shell access when I
> > set their shell to /sbin/nologin ftp says access denied but if it
> > is set to a working shell ftp is fine.
>
> I use  /bin/false  - a habit from a long time ago, and just
> added that to the /etc/shells.  I then also put their entry
> into /etc/ftpchroot and all seems to work just fine.
>

> --
> Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com

Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator
http://www.marius.org/marius.pgp 0x55DE53E4

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a mini-van full of DLT
tapes traveling down the highway at 65 miles per hour..."
	-Andrew Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks"