List:       freebsd-isp
Subject:    Re: Backround Proccess Limiter
From:       missnglnk <missnglnk () sneakerz ! org>
Date:       2000-09-24 23:47:54

Whoops. jumped the gun, I saw 'process limiter', and thought about
amounts, sorry about that...a restricted shell (rbash is what I can
think of off head), a directory containing only the allowed programs
to be executed, and a PATH configured by the administrator, here's
the snippet from the bash manpage about its restricted shell mode:
-- snip --
RESTRICTED SHELL
       If  bash  is started with the name rbash, or the -r option
       is supplied at invocation, the shell  becomes  restricted.
       A  restricted  shell is used to set up an environment more
       controlled than the standard shell.   It  behaves  identi-
       cally  to  bash  with the exception that the following are
       disallowed or not performed:
       o      changing directories with cd
       o      setting or unsetting the  values  of  SHELL,  PATH,
              ENV, or BASH_ENV
       o      specifying command names containing /
       o      specifying  a  file name containing a / as an argu-
              ment to the .  builtin command
       o      Specifying a filename  containing  a  slash  as  an
              argument  to the -p option to the hash builtin com-
              mand
       o      importing function definitions from the shell envi-
              ronment at startup
       o      parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell envi-
              ronment at startup
       o      redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and
              >> redirection operators
       o      using the exec builtin command to replace the shell
              with another command
       o      adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and
              -d options to the enable builtin command
       o      specifying  the  -p  option  to the command builtin
              command
       o      turning off restricted mode with set +r or  set  +o
              restricted.
       These  restrictions  are  enforced after any startup files
       are read.
       When a command that is found to be a shell script is  exe-
       cuted  (see  COMMAND EXECUTION above), rbash turns off any
       restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script.
-- snip --

Once again, sorry for jumping the gun, and good luck!
--
missnglnk@sneakerz.org
http://www.sneakerz.org/~missnglnk