List:       freebsd-isp
Subject:    RE: Question about ways to do eMail authintication.
From:       "Troy Settle" <troy () picus ! com>
Date:       2000-06-23 11:43:08

We do this using PHP.  The key we generate and email to the user is
something like this:

   $key = substr(md5($username . $email . $time . $REMOTE_HOST),0,8)

It's not perfect, but it's sufficient to prevent guessing, and has
worked well enough for us over the last couple years.  Similar functions
are availiable in perl and can also be duplicated in a simple shell
script (/sbin/md5).

G'luck,

--
  Troy Settle