List:       freebsd-isp
Subject:    RE: Conversion to FreeBSD from Linux
From:       "Scott St. John" <ssj () scottah ! com>
Date:       2004-02-26 21:20:38

Ah!  Worked like a charm!  FreeBSD here I come!

Thank you to everyone on the list for your help.  This should be in
evangelism, but I will share it here.

We are a small ISP that was on BSDi up until 2 years ago.  When the old
Pentium 100, 64 meg of ram mail server crashed I went to Linux because we
had IBM Netfinity machines and BSD would not work with the RAID controller
at the time.  Keep in mind this old P100 handled over 2,000 email accounts,
secondary DNS, radius, webmail and user home pages.  It was a great machine
and ran for 6 years!

Went with RH 7.2 on a Dual P3 700 Mhz machine with 2 gigs of ram and it has
been a nightmare ever since!  Load averages over 30 several times a day,
backup DNS often fails, etc.  So I got some new servers from ASA and was
bound and determined to move back to BSD.  Thanks to everyone on the list I
will be able to do that and I am sure I will sleep better at night and my
users will be happier :)

-Scott