List:       freebsd-isp
Subject:    Re: machine hangs
From:       "George Barnett" <george () alink ! co ! za>
Date:       2002-02-23 16:15:12

> I am working with an ISP that is running 4.4 on a server. Periodically,
> this server hangs for no known reason. No messages in the logs and no
> indication of what caused the lockup. Since I'm new to freeBSD, can

If the machine hangs for no apparent reason, it's usually not software
related but rather a hardware fault.  Perhaps pull the machine out and run
it on your desk for a while (if practical) and see if perhaps the CPU fan
stops spinning or there is anything that seems to hot inside.

Also, what might be usefull, is to set up a log which catches everything
for a while.  To do this, add the following to your syslog.conf:

*.*                    /var/log/everything

and then touch the file /var/log/everything so it exists.  If the machine
then crashes, go and see what the last message was (if there was one that's
maybe related).

Another thing you could try would be to turn try turn off power management
in the machine's bios.

Hope this helps

-G

A  C  T  I  V  E     L  I  N  K