List:       freebsd-isp
Subject:    IDE controller on Dell Poweredge 350 - ATA33 only?
From:       Rowan Crowe <rowan () sensation ! net ! au>
Date:       2002-02-23 14:51:36

Hi all,

I've been trying to find out this answer myself but I am not having any
luck with the Dell documentation. I have a new Poweredge 350 which seems
to be working fine, apart from this oddity:

atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 7.1 on pci0

[...]

ad0: 38146MB <IC35L040AVER07-0> [77504/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

FreeBSD is reporting the controller as ATA33 capable only. The ata(4) man
page says this is its maximum speed, and a web search for 'Intel PIIX4'
shows this appears to be correct.

What I am _hoping_ is happening is that the chipset in this server is
backward compatible with the PIIX4, and FreeBSD is not properly detecting
the native chipset. I find it hard to believe that a brand new server
shipped with a 7200RPM ATA100 drive would have a controller limited to
ATA33 only?

It may sound like I'm niggling but as I often do HD image backups it is
relevant; even the older 5400RPM ATA66 drives can saturate the ATA33
controller on my other server (31-32Mbytes/sec).

Thanks in advance for any help...

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia