List:       freebsd-isdn
Subject:    Re: Black tuesday :-(
From:       Luke Roberts <luke () roberts ! nl>
Date:       1999-11-30 22:44:44

Hi Gerald,

>I ifconfig´ed up isp0, did a fetchmail and got the BIOS message. In
>other words: fetchmail... 3 seconds...blank screen...BIOS startup
>message.

I remember having this problem on a black Sunday and the cause, which had
nothing to do with the machine or software, was very simple:

a very short power failure, aka a brownout, but enough to quickly power
down and reboot the machine. Of course your power supply could be faulty in
stead.

>Also, I´d like a few tips on how to go about preparing for a repeat. I
>assume this bug (if indeed it is a bug!) is *very* rare, since, give or
>take a protocol message or two in earlier versions, I haven´t heard so
>much as a squeak from my setup for several months.

The solution was very simple: A UPS batterypack hooked up to the FreeBSD
machine.

Hope this helps,

Luke