List:       freebsd-ipfw
Subject:    Re: Packet marking bridge
From:       "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-11-25 7:21:14

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 04:46:26PM +0100, Julio OROZCO wrote:
> I need to set up a bridge that marks packets (set the TOS field) and
> ipfw seems a good starting poit, so I would like to know if somebody has
> tried (and succeeded) something like that before.

ipfw(8) really doesn't do anything to change the contents of
packets. However, using ipfw(8) to divert(4) packets to a very simple
daemon which then messes with the diffserv field is not tough. I
actually made up a very simple daemon, Divert Packet Capture Daemon
(dpcd), that is made to take care of all of the divert(4) stuff for
you, you just need to add a code module to do the packet
modifications.