List:       freebsd-hardware
Subject:    Re: looking for gigabit network appliances
From:       Willem Jan Withagen <wjw () digiware ! nl>
Date:       2011-03-30 14:43:37

On 28-3-2011 21:46, Steve Polyack wrote:
> On 03/28/11 13:29, Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> Axiomtek makes a handful of devices which might interest you.  Their
> NA-820 is a pretty solid platform for serial console, internal VGA
> headers, 7 Intel em(4) gigabit ethernet interfaces, and SATA support:
> http://axiomtek.com/products/ViewProduct.asp?view=429
>
> We haven't had any trouble with running FreeBSD on them.  I'm not sure
> about obtaining them in Europe, however.

I've purchased 2 of them and they got shipped directly from the
far-East. There is a reseller in Germany, but they still defer you.

Al in al it was a realively painless process.

And yo gan even go to eleven * 1Gbit, if you use a quad ehternet card in
the extention slot.

Processing power to fully utilize all ports is more of a problem.
Since generating 11Gb/s of traffic ain't easy. :)

--WjW