List:       freebsd-hardware
Subject:    Re: Monitoring LSI MegaRAID 320-1
From:       "Ketrien I. Saihr-Kesenchedra" <ketrien () error404 ! nls ! net>
Date:       2004-10-08 19:04:30

Simon wrote:

> Hello Folks!
>
> I have several servers with LSI MegaRAID 320-1 controllers. What do
> you all use to monitor the arrays? how is one supposed to know when
> a drive dies, remotely? I found a utility MegaControl which does exactly
> this, but it is buggy and causes my servers to malfunction and start
> panicing left and right. I noticed that the array would be reinitialized in \
> background after installing MegaControl which made no sense since the array was \
> already %100 initialized. This would of course corrupt the live system and was \
> probably the cause of panics.
> Any insights on this would be appreciated!

amr(4) provides a cam passthrough function, which exposes the individual
drives cleanly. (I've tested this on 320-2 and 320-0.) I'd use
camcontrol rather than megacontrol, but bear in mind that, AFAIK,
camcontrol cannot tell you the array status, only individual drive status.

-Ketrien I. Saihr-Kesenchedra | ketrien AT error404 DOT nls DOT net