List:       freebsd-hardware
Subject:    Re: portmaster serial/terminal servers with FreeBSD ...
From:       "Willem Jan Withagen" <wjw () withagen ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-27 22:13:38

> Anyone have any warnings about these?  I'm thinking of picking one up so
> that I can monitor the remote servers, especially through a reboot, better
> ... looking at the PM-25 model (25 port through fan-out cables) ... my
> understanding, on the FreeBSD side, is that I just need to add -P to
> /boot.config, and it will probe the serial port for a serial console ...
> anything else on a 4.x machine that needs to be done?  Used to be
> something in the kernel, if I recall correctly, but think that was removed
> ... ?

Although the PM25 are cheap, nice and small, the cables with them are very
specific, and are sort of a mess to keep undamaged.

Pinning is too fine, so they bend easily. You really need to thighten then well
in their sockets, which usually results in destroying the plastic top of the
connector-screws when undoing them...
So I would suggest getting a proper fresh set of cables with them.

Other than that Portmasters were a great thing, to bad they had to be ruined by
guys that wanted to dominate the market by killing competitors.

--WjW