List:       freebsd-hardware
Subject:    Re: New parts for new PC (need help - little knowledge of
From:       Samuel Clements <sclements () linkline ! com>
Date:       2003-11-20 17:19:31

There are some really good RAID Primers you can read up on, like this one
from Intel:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/raid_info.htm

or this one from LSI:
http://www.lsilogic.com/products/stor_prod/raid/backgrounder1.html

or this one from Adaptec:
http://graphics.adaptec.com/pdfs/ACSP_RAID_Ch4.pdf

My $.02 worth is the Intel and Adaptec SCSI RAID controllers seem to work
really well for us, but I don't have much experience in the IDE RAID realm
yet with the exception of the Adaptec/Intel SATA RAID built into the ICH5R
on the new S875WP1 server board that isn't yet supported under FreeBSD
(might want to stay away from that one for now)... Probably something from
Promise will suit you fine. At the low end, if it works, theres not going
to be a lot of difference among controllers.
   -Sam