List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: messed up /etc/rc.conf
From:       Warner Losh <imp () harmony ! village ! org>
Date:       2001-07-30 15:17:50

In message <01073007591802.01042@tiltill.panasas.com> Rohit Grover writes:
: I made a mistake while modifying my /etc/rc.conf. I forgot to
: put the terminating quote for a string. Now, my machine fails to boot
: correctly. Upon boot, it gives me an option to launch a shell to
: correct the problem. Interestingly, / is mounted as read-only and so
: I cannot correct /etc/rc.conf. Please help.

Your best bet is to boot singlue user, then do fsck -p /; mount -uw /;
mv /etc/rc.conf /etcrc.conf-; reboot; correct the problem; reboot

Or

fsck -p /
mount -uw /
fsck -p /var