List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: Please review: rc file changes
From:       Doug <Doug () gorean ! org>
Date:       1999-08-31 0:02:08

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, David O'Brien wrote:

> > I've had a week-end away from a keyboard to think about this. The only
> > reason we have to use case statements for case-insensitive variable
> > testing is because sh(1) doesn't offer any upper/lower case handling
>
> Also so that common settings can be added.  Besides "yes" and "no" there
> could be other forms of wanting and not wanting.

	I'm all but done with the rc* files and moving on to the other
places in /etc that use test currently. There are 6 states that take 99%
of the cases into account:

yes no !yes !no presence-of-a-variable absence-of-a-variable

Frankly, I'm not sure what the proposed functions get us. Current tools
take all of those possible conditions into account, and adding custom
hacks for common cases will increase the likelihood of people writing
extremely non-portable scripts with them. Maybe I'm missing something
though...  Also, keep in mind that it's not just case sensitivity that
we're working with here. It's also the fact that case is a sh builtin, as
opposed to test which is not.

	If you want to see what I've got so far check out
http://gorean.org/rcfiles/

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"