List:       freebsd-hackers
Subject:    Re: real time kernel
From:       W Gerald Hicks <wghicks () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       1999-01-30 5:38:29

From: Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:23:46 -0500 (EST)

> > Does anyone know of a real time version of FreeBSD (or a romable version)?
> > If not FreeBSD then one of the other *BSDs?
>
> PicoBSD?
>
> It's not realtime, though.

Right, but it doesn't really have the run-time characteristics of a
full Unix system either.  It is very useful for quite a few things
needing very stable and fast performance near "real-time".

An OS for hard real-time applications?  Have a look at RTEMS 4.0
(http://www.oarcorp.com).  You'll find FreeBSD code in the networking
support.

We've also been using BTX/BootForth for starting RTEMS applications.

BootForth seems like it will be useful for diagnostic routines, while
having PicoBSD in flash as an alternate boot offers useful possibilities
for remote maintenance and updating.  All three together are a win for
our x86-based embedded computing needs.

Of course, FreeBSD is an excellent development host and operations
support system for all of this  :-)

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net